The Wellington Institute of Technology – WelTec – is a tertiary institution training around 8000 students every year. WelTec is third level training institution around 8000 students every year.
We have campuses in Wellington city, Petone, Porirua and Auckland offering hundreds of programmes ranging from hospitality to IT, engineering to hairdressing, business to tourism, and much, much more. Your study relates to the real world, WelTec courses relate to the real world. We work with businesses to make sure what you’re learning is relevant for the workforce. You’ll learn valuable skills that you can put into practice straight away.
Learn from industry professionals
Our tutors are industry experts keen to share their knowledge. They will coach you and can connect you to future work opportunities.
Plenty of options for your future
Still at school? Just leaving? Or pursuing a new career path? With hundreds of options, we have a programme for you.
Learn baking in our ultramodern School of Hospitality located right on Cuba Street. Here you will bake for real customers in our training restaurant Bistro 52. You will learn in our commercial kitchens that mirror real-world commercial kitchens and are equipped with convection ovens, provers, smoker, thermo mixers and more cooking equipment that you will use throughout your career.
New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Level 3)
Learn to prepare, bake and present a range of breads, biscuits and cakes and get the skills needed to start as a trainee baker.
What you will learn
- Learn the use of different flour types, sugar varieties and yeast
- Understand why ingredients are combined together in exact quantities to produce products
- Produce a range of yeast-raised classics, including baguettes, bagels, pizza bread and plaited loaves
- Create melt-in-your-mouth shortbread, yo-yo biscuits and biscotti
- Cover traditional cakes, lamingtons, Victoria sponge, berry friands and a range of slices
- Progress through pastry-based products, from savoury pies and puff pastries to sweet tarts and turnovers
- Cater to dietary requirements with gluten-free alternatives
- Learn techniques for finishing and presenting basic bakery items
- Work in a team to produce bakery items for sale
- Follow food hygiene processes to prepare, cook, serve and store food safely
New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Generalist) (Level 4)
Gain advanced baking and patisserie skills that are in hot demand. Produce breads, cakes, biscuits and patisserie items. Grow your capability to work as part of a commercial bakery team, in an artisan bakery or as a pastry chef.
What you will learn
- Learn advanced bakery techniques, including croissants, Danish pastries, and sour dough products
- Learn patisserie techniques, including celebration cake decorating, Viennoiserie pastries, gateaux and torten, and choux pastry items
- Produce global breads using artisan bakery techniques to include fougasse, baguettes and brioche
- Work as part of a team in our pop-up bakery producing products for sale, demonstrating teamwork, budgeting and organisational skills
- Create showpieces from chocolate and sugar
- Understand gluten free and other dietary requirements
- Undertake a work experience placement within industry
- Follow and monitor food hygiene processes to prepare, cook, serve and store food safely
- Broaden knowledge of bakery science, terminologies and commodities associated with Baking
- Understand safe handling and maintenance of bakery equipment